Wednesday 22 June 2016

End of Second Trimester | Pregnancy Update

Now that I sit here and think about it while writing this, this trimester has been crazy. So much has happened. The first trimester was quite calm and it time did drag a lot, time always felt like it was going so slowly, this trimester has been the absolute opposite.
At 17 weeks, I started getting really bad pains that started from my spine, went round my left side and over the left side of my bump. The pains would usually last 5-7 hours and would be constant. I would be in absolute agony to the point of having to bite and scream into pillows. At 19 weeks, I was getting the pains every 5-8 days and didn’t feel much movement for a few days after the last time I had the pains at the time (I was feeling flutters before) so I had an emergency ultrasound scan. At this point, they did some tests and turns out I had a really bad UTI (Urine Tract Infection) which was likely to be causing me the pain. The ultrasound showed a very sleepy and happy baby that put his thumb up at us when he was woken up during the scan and gave us the cutest ultrasound picture ever. I was also able to hear the baby’s heartbeat for the first time, which by the way was perfect.I was put on to antibiotics for 7 days.
I was referred to a consultant for my high bmi. The consultant said he predicts our baby to be here any time from 37 weeks as he was measuring quite big for his time.
At 20 weeks, we had the scan that is well known as the gender scan (however, it is a lot more than that as there are loads of important measurements and checks that need to be done). We were so nervous and time really seemed to drag during the weeks leading up to the scan. We found out we are having a little boy and honestly couldn’t be happier. Next date to look forward to would be the long-waited-for due date, the day we meet our little man.
I can’t remember weeks properly for this point exactly, I’m sure I was 21-22 weeks. My pains were still happening like before, more intense each time. A few more tests were done and turns out the infection I had before had traveled up tract into my kidneys, even though I had been on antibiotics for it for 7 days straight just before. I was given more antibiotics to take, another 7 days of non-stop antibiotics. A week or so later, I had to do a an ultrasound to my kidneys to see if I had kidney stones, I got the results soon after and turns out I had a little tiny stone there but was no reason to be medicated as it would go away on its own.
During all this time, my bump continued to grow more and more. I love it. At around 24-25 weeks I started to feel the baby so much more. The kicks are the best feeling ever. At 25 weeks, we started being able to actually see him kicking and moving inside the belly.
At 26 weeks, I was told that it would be best for me to pack my maternity bag ready for when I am 30 weeks because they can decide to induce me at any point after that, depending on what is shown on growth scans. If our baby boy continues to grow like he is, he will be a few weeks ahead and needs to meet us sooner. My UTI has also come back, which is another thing that can push them to induce me early or he may even come earlier when he is ready.
At 27 weeks, the really bad Braxton Hicks contractions have made an appearance. And from what I have been told, I can expect a lot more of these the closer I get to the due date.
I am hoping the next trimester flies by just like this one did, I can’t wait to meet our little boy. Even though, I would prefer for him to stay inside my belly for as long as he needs and is best for him. The next trimester will be full of appointments, growth scans, and we will also be getting things ready for him and doing his room. Excited is an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment